Protecting Yourself Against Summer Pests
Summer means spending time outdoors relaxing and having fun. It also means more exposure to bugs. Here are some ways to protect your self and your home from summer insects:
Mosquitoes cause itchy bumps and carry dangerous diseases that can make you very sick. Aside from yard treatments to eliminate mosquitos, these tips can help keep mosquitoes away:
- Eliminate stagnant water. Divert water away from your home through downspouts and regularly change the water in birdbaths, ponds, and other water features.
- Wear insect repellent when outdoors.
- Light citronella candles around your outdoor areas.
Ticks can cause major illnesses. Reduce your chance of tick bites by following these suggestions:
- Wear insect repellent when outside.
- If you are in tall grass, bushes, or trees, wear long sleeves and long pants tucked into your socks.
- Complete a thorough inspection of your body when you go inside.
Wasps, yellow jackets, and hornets can be a real pain. To keep your home nest free, try the following tips:
- Seal cracks and entry points into your home.
- Examine overhangs and eaves on your home, which make a cozy place for a nest.
- Keep bushes and trees trimmed and check for nests before you trim anything.
- If you see a nest, contact a professional. It can be dangerous and painful to attempt removal your self.
Ant colonies can include thousands of ants, which can quickly lead to an infestation. To keep them at bay, try a few of these strategies:
- Keep bushes, trees, and foliage trimmed and away from your home.
- Keep your kitchen clean and place food in sealed containers.
- Vacuum regularly.
- Place sticky traps or ant bait in problem areas.
- Seal cracks and holes where ants can enter your home.
If you are still having problems with pests after trying these tips, give Amco Ranger a call. We’ll fight the bugs so you can relax and enjoy the summer.
Learn more about how you can protect your pets during the summer. Also find out if you have a cockroach infestation.