Determining the Type of Ant Problem
In addition to locating the ant colony, ants can be challenging to eradicate as you also need to identify the exact type of ant that is giving you problems. According to the University of Missouri, there are more than 450 different types of ants found throughout the United States, but only ten species are likely to infest residential and commercial properties in the St. Louis and surrounding Missouri area.
These often nest and build their colonies in cracked sidewalks, under paving stones, or in the ground near building foundations. They can also be found in potted plants, gardens, and any location where moist soil tends to accumulate around your property or in your neighborhood.
Identifying the exact species is important in determining whether sprays, traps, or baits need to be used in eliminating them. Among the most common types of ants found in the St. Louis area include:
- Odorous house ants, which invade in large numbers and take their name from the fruity scent they give off when crushed;
- Pharaoh ants, which are the type most likely to infest food supplies;
- Pavement ants, which are winged ants that nest outside before eventually making their way into your home;
- Larger yellow ants: Which are often found near building foundations and are often mistaken for termites;
- Field ants: Which dig trenches under the ground, similar to red fire ants;
- Carpenter ants: Which can consume massive amounts of wood, doing damage to your home and other property structures, such as porches, fences, and sheds.
Once our St. Louis ant control experts have taken the steps needed to identify the ants living in your home and eliminate the colony, they can then recommend simple tips to help prevent them from becoming a problem again in the future.