It’s the time of year when people pull their cold-weather clothes, blankets, hunting gear, and holiday decorations out of storage. When you do this, be extremely watchful for brown recluse spiders. Their venomous bite can make a person quite sick and cause necrosis (skin cell death) at the bite location. A good indication you’re dealing with a brown recluse is the violin-shaped marking on its head.
Most bites occur when the brown recluse becomes pressed up against the skin, like rolling onto one in your bed or putting on a sweater, boots, or gloves that haven’t been worn in months. Pest control of brown recluse spiders is very important.
In an infested home, you can reduce the chance of being bitten by shaking out shoes and clothing before putting them on, keeping bed sheets from touching the floor, and hanging clothes in closets rather than leaving them on the floor. You might also wear protective gloves when cleaning cluttered areas to guard against being bitten.
Eliminating brown recluse spiders from your home may be difficult, but it is possible using an integrated approach that emphasizes eliminating the spider’s habitat. There are several protective actions you can take to control brown recluse spiders:
- Begin by removing clutter, especially in low-traffic areas such as basements, attics, closets, and storage areas.
- Frequent cleaning, using a vacuum wand to reach between boxes and other tight spaces, will help eliminate spiders, egg sacs, and potential food sources before spiders emerge and reproduce.
- Store seasonal clothing and shoes in tightly sealed plastic storage containers and avoid placing them close together or against walls.
- Knock down all the spider webs you encounter, focusing on the outside of your home.
- Seal both interior and exterior cracks and crevices to prevent spiders and their insect prey from moving into your house.
- Sticky traps or glue boards can be used to capture brown recluse spiders. Place traps around the house in areas where spiders are likely to travel: under furniture, along walls, in attics, basements, and closets.
We can help
No matter how intimidating or pervasive your pest problem, you can trust that Amco Ranger knows exactly how to handle it and make sure the pests don’t return. We are a local, family-owned business, and we’re ready to help you. Give us a call today if you need help getting rid of brown recluse spiders in your home or business in Lake St. Louis, Wentzville, O’Fallon, Cottleville, St. Peters, St. Charles, St. Louis, and surrounding communities.