Summer means spending time outdoors relaxing and having fun. It also means more exposure to bugs. Here are some ways to protect your self and your home from summer insects:
Mosquitoes cause itchy bumps and carry dangerous diseases that can make you very sick. Aside from yard treatments to eliminate mosquitos, these tips can help keep mosquitoes away:
- Eliminate stagnant water. Divert water away from your home through downspouts and regularly change the water in birdbaths, ponds, and other water features.
- Wear insect repellent when outdoors.
- Light citronella candles around your outdoor areas.
Ticks can cause major illnesses. Reduce your chance of tick bites by following these suggestions:
- Wear insect repellent when outside.
- If you are in tall grass, bushes, or trees, wear long sleeves and long pants tucked into your socks.
- Complete a thorough inspection of your body when you go inside.
Wasps, yellow jackets, and hornets can be a real pain. To keep your home nest free, try the following tips:
- Seal cracks and entry points into your home.
- Examine overhangs and eaves on your home, which make a cozy place for a nest.
- Keep bushes and trees trimmed and check for nests before you trim anything.
- If you see a nest, contact a professional. It can be dangerous and painful to attempt removal your self.
Ant colonies can include thousands of ants, which can quickly lead to an infestation. To keep them at bay, try a few of these strategies:
- Keep bushes, trees, and foliage trimmed and away from your home.
- Keep your kitchen clean and place food in sealed containers.
- Vacuum regularly.
- Place sticky traps or ant bait in problem areas.
- Seal cracks and holes where ants can enter your home.
If you are still having problems with pests after trying these tips, give Amco Ranger a call. We’ll fight the bugs so you can relax and enjoy the summer.